What forms of 310/310S Stainless Steel are available at Mega Mex?
- Pipe & Tube
- Fittings (i.e. flanges, slip-ons, blinds, weld-necks, lapjoints, long welding necks, socket welds, elbows, tees, stub-ends, returns, caps, crosses, reducers, and pipe nipples)
- Weld Wire (AWS E310-16 or ER310)
310/310S Stainless Steel Overview
Stainless steel 310/310S is an austenitic heat resistant alloy with excellent resistance to oxidation under mildly cyclic conditions through 2000°F. Its high chromium and nickel contents provide comparable corrosion resistance, superior resistance to oxidation and the retention of a larger fraction of room temperature strength than the common austenitic alloys like Type 304. Stainless 310 is often used at cryogenic temperatures, with excellent toughness to -450°F, and low magnetic permeability.
**As you can see below, Grade 310S is a low carbon version of grade 310. 310S is less prone to embrittlement and sensitization in service.
310 UNS S31000 Chemical Composition, %
310S UNS S31008 Chemical Composition, %
What are the characteristics of 310/310S Stainless?
- Oxidation resistance to 2000°F
- Moderate strength at high temperature
- Resistance to hot corrosion
- Strength and toughness at cryogenic temperatures
Typical Applications for 310/310S Stainless
- Heat Exchangers
- Radiant Tubes
- Muffles, retorts, annealing covers
- Tube hangers for petroleum refiing adn steam boilers
- Coal gasifier internal components
- Furnace parts, conveyor belts, rollers, oven linings, fans
- Food processing equipment
- Cryogenic structures
Fabrication with Stainless 310/310S
Type 310/310S is readily fabricated by standard commercial procedures. In comparison to carbon steel, stainless steels are tougher and tend to work harden rapidly.
Type 310/310S can be welded using all of the common welding processes.
Representative Tensile Properties
Ultimate Tensile Strength, ksi
.2% Yield Strength, ksi
Typical Creep-Rupture Properties
Minimum Creep 0.0001%/hr, ksi
100,000 Hour Rupture Strength, ksi